Garment Construction following a proven structured method to learn how to sew and put garments together using the best techniques. Using our Bernina machines and overlockers you progress through the specifically designed course to create beautiful garments.
“At the Academy”
The course will include basic sewing skills required to assemble a garment. With 17 samples to complete before you move onto garments, (criteria supplied by the Academy) you are following a plan that will give you the skills you need to create quality garments.
This course is suitable for students who wish to go onto a fashion design course or for those who want to improve their sewing skills.
After completion of the the course you will receive a Certificate of Completion from the Academy, and have the skills need to progress to Intermediate Garment Construction.
Beginning Garment Construction
- A class in techniques for sewists who want to learn how to sew or to improve their sewing skills.
- Each days class will build upon techniques learnt in the previous class.
- You will need to provide your own tools – We have a complete kit (see below), we provide the calico and notions for your samples. However you will need to purchase fashion fabric and notions for your final garment.
- Learn about your sewing machine, the in’s and out’s of tension and stitch length.
- Learn about fabrics, the where and what you should use for which design. If you are not sure where to go, we can tell you the best places to purchase fabric, or of course you can use your own stash.
- 17 Techniques including setting in sleeves and zips.
Small intimate classes to ensure you get individual attention when you need it.
Dates and times 2023
Wednesday – starting 15 March 2023
Morning 10.00am to 1.00pm – 3 hours
Evening 6.30pm – 8.30pm – 2 hours
15 Mar 2023
22 Mar 2023
29 Mar 2023
5 Apr 2023
3 May 2023
10 May 2023
17 May 2023
24 May 2023
31 May 2023
7 Jun 2023
14 Jun 2023
21 Jun 2023
28 Jun 2023 – Evening only
19 Jul 2023 – Evening only
26 Jul 2023 – Evening only
Sewing Kit $97
- 1 x Small sharp pointed Scissors
- 1 x Tailors Chalk
- 1 x Assorted hand sewing needles
- 1 x Seam Ripper
- 1 x Magnetic Pin Cushion
- 1 x Dressmaking Scissors 220mm
- 1 x Snips
- 1 x Pouch for Sewing supplies
- 1 x packet Dressmakers pins
- 1 x Tape Measure
- 1 x Point Turner
- 1 x Carbon paper
What you will learn
Principles of Cutting
Placing the Pattern on fabric in preparation for cutting
Basics of Sewing Machine
Machine Straight Stitch and back stitching
Machine Stay Stitching
Hand Hem Stitching
Clipping, Notching, Trimming, and Grading
Concave & convex seams
Sewing the Inward Facing Corner
Setting in Sleeves
Cutting and Joining Bias Strips
Facings – Bias Binding
Interfacing / Fusing
And much, much more
Sunita is a wonderful patient teacher who has a wealth of knowledge. The Academy has great facilities and I can’t wait to take the next step in my sewing journey
Thank you Sunita, I loved coming to class. I feel confident to use a sewing machine and am excited to start making my own garments.
When we needed extra help Sunita was always there!